Monday, July 1, 2013

What I Have Been Reading Lately

I have been madly writing this summer. I have to admit I feel driven to finish my MTC @ HOME manuscript (formerly called FHE MTC). I think I will have good news to share on that next week, but now I am getting ahead of myself.

In addition to writing I have been trying to keep up on my to-read list. Here are some I have enjoyed recently:

By: Heidi Ashworth

I read this on my way home from vacation last week and enjoyed it immensely. It is a regency era romance about an English spy and his childhood pal/sweetheart. Ashworth has written about some these characters in earlier books, so it is fun to see this as sort of a third in a series. But really it stands on its own individually.


By: S. Michael Wilcox

I was given this book by a good friend for Christmas and then chose it for my turn to host my book club. The premise of the book--of finding as much good and truth in the world while keeping one foot firmly planted in the gospel of Jesus Christ--was thought provoking. This book was excellent for book club and I have learned a lot from the individuals Wilcox profiles. If you like biographies, this would be a particularly good choice.


By: Stephanie Sorensen

Stephanie is one of my favorite bloggers (have you read Diapers & Divinity?) and I am looking forward to meeting her IRL when I am in Utah in a few weeks. Anyway, Covenant Motherhood is her first book. In it she discusses how many of the mundane, day-to-day tasks moms perform are actually symbolic of the Savior and the atonement. It is a fascinating read, but quick. It made me feel better about some of the household chores I hate the most. I highly recommend it for all moms out there.


By: Sarah M. Eden

I read Glimmer of Hope right after the semester ended; it was a reward to myself. Sarah Eden books are always a reward to read. This one is a regency romance about an estranged married couple. The plot is unique and some of the marriage advice in the book is very reliable (at least according to my communications textbooks). I think every married couple has their ups and downs, so it is great to get a clean romance novel that addresses these types of issues. I wish there were more like it.


By: Melanie Jacobson

I actually read this one as soon as it came out a few months ago. Melanie Jacobson is one of my favorite LDS authors right now. (I am hoping to be like a character in one of her books in the hereafter.) This book is funny and has a good message about learning to understand out perceptions can be wrong, forgiveness, and hard work. I even bought a second copy of this book to give as a gift to my SIL for her birthday last week. An excellent summer read.

I hope your summer reading has been as enjoyable as mine has thus far. I have to limit what I am reading so I can make sure I am not too distracted from actually writing. But still, there are a few things slated to come out soon I am really looking forward to sinking my teeth into. Happy summer!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!