Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lighten Up!


I am saddened by the news of the passing of Sister Chieko Okazaki today. Sister Okazaki made a tremendous impact on my life during the time I transitioned from young women to Relief Society. I remember looking forward to her talks and feeling her optimism.

I am one of many who purchased and read her book Lighten Up! In fact, it still sits on my bookshelf, dust jacket in near perfect condition, despite my use of her book in a number of talks and thoughts. I am sure I have read it two or three times, but I think maybe it is time to read it again. Here is one of my favorite quotes from her book:

"Let's remember that charity begins at home. Let's focus on loving our children for who they are right now and eliminating the feeling for them that they have to compete and struggle and achieve to be good enough. Let's focus on loving ourselves for who we are right now. We don't need to compete with an image of impossible perfection. Let's focus on letting love flow to our sisters and brothers. Let's accept and rejoice in their diversity. Let's offer the gift of understanding and acceptance. We don't need to judge. We don't need to compare. There's room for all of us. Let's allow our love for Jesus take the form of simple kindness and courtesy whenever we see a need."

Just a few weeks back a friend brought me three boxes of books she was getting rid of, and there among many others was Lighten Up! I remember thinking, "Oh, how could anyone get rid of such a great book?" But, she did.

So I have an extra copy of Lighten Up! In honor of Chieko Okazaki's memory I thought I would pass it on to any of my readers who might be interested. Leave me a comment telling me your thoughts and memories of Sister Okazaki if you would like this free copy. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Scripture of the Day: 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to hear she passed away. I have been and still am in Colorado with my daughter and haven't been on the computer very much. I also enjoyed her book and loved her talks when she was in the RS presidency. It is sad for us that she is gone. But probably great for the spirit world. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!