Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Favorite Authors: LM Montgomery

I remember starting sixth grade without the desire to read. My teacher that year was Mrs. Werner. In an effort to get me reading Mrs. Werner suggested I try Anne of Green Gables. I looked at the cover, then looked at Mrs. Werner, and thought, "Saying 'no' is not an option." So I took the book home and struggled for a week to get through the first chapter. Anne's forever-long diatribe on her ride home from the railroad station with Matthew was hard to get through.


But then I had a breakthrough. Anne's arrival at Green Gables was much more interesting. I so hoped Marilla and Matthew would keep her. And especially after she became friends with Diana, I could not put the book down. Later, as I read the sequels, I fell in love with Gilbert Blythe as much as Anne did. The whole Anne series is still a favorite to this day. I wish I could thank Mrs. Werner.


Lucy Maude Montgomery's mother died when she was just 21 months old. For the most part her grandparents raised her on Prince Edward Island in Canada. She was first published at about age 16 when a poem she wrote was printed in the newspaper. After she finished school she studied to get a teacher's license. She taught in various schools on Prince Edward Island. Although she did not enjoy the work, it provided plenty of time to write. "Beginning in 1897, her short stories were published in magazines and newspapers. A prolific writer, Montgomery published over 100 stories between 1897 and 1907" (source). Her first book, Anne of Green Gables, was published in 1908 and was an immediate success. In 1911 Lucy married Ewen McDonald, a Presbyterian preacher; shortly thereafter they moved to Ontario for his work. The couple had three sons (although the second was stillborn), but the marriage was difficult due to Ewen's mental health and temperament issues. Lucy's writing became prolific during this time of her life, partially because she used writing as a coping mechanism to deal with her challenges. She spent many years caring for her husband and struggled with depression as a result. During her lifetime, Montgomery had published twenty novels, over 500 short stories, an autobiography, and a book of poetry. She died in 1942.

Project Gutenberg has numerous L.M. Montgomery books available for free as ebook downloads. Follow this link and pick your favorite. I recommend Rilla of Ingleside in addition to any of the Anne books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!