Monday, February 22, 2010

New Photo of Joseph Smith


I received this e-mail today and thought I would share because it was so amazing. Personally I think he is handsomer than the artistic renditions have depicted. What do you think? Do you think it is real?

The Reorganized LDS Church or Community of Christ Church only recently uncovered it in their archives and asked our church to help authenticate it. The Church has stated that it is "almost certainly authentic." All existing "photos" of the Prophet Joseph Smith are artist conceptions, most
of which were taken from models made from the death mask after the Prophet Joseph had died.

This photo is reportedly taken of him at the time of his incarceration in the Liberty Jail. The article in the Meridian says the Church has actually had the photo for a couple of years working on its authentication.

The LDS Church is not authenticating this picture, but they are fairly sure that this is a true picture of Joseph Smith around the time that he was going to or released from Liberty Jail. It may be the only reported daguerreotype ever made of the Prophet and was buried in the archives of the RLDS Church until they recently found it and released it.

**Update: Read this blog post for more info about this picture.**

4 comments:

  1. I saw this the first time a couple of years ago. At that time, I was under the impression that this was taken when he was still a teen-ager. I think, looks-wise, that makes more sense. However, they might not have had the technology that early on. I'm wondering why anyone would take a photo of him when he was "about to be released" from Liberty, and if that's true, why didn't they take a photo of my great great great great grandfather, Caleb Baldwin, who was in there with him? I do like this picture, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the picture before as well and was under the impression it was authentic. Personally, I think it looks a lot like my brother. Did I ever mention I am a Smith? I come from Hyrum. Anyway, the picture really does look a lot like my brother, so I am inclined to believe it is real. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old photos. Seems like most of them from around that time look similar:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!