Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Summer Reading


As I have been reading the general conference talks I finally reached the last session of conference, the second to last talk by Elder Neil L. Andersen. In his talk, Tell Me the Stories of Jesus, Elder Anderson makes the following suggestion:

"To the youth and children: Live up to your important responsibilities and great spiritual capacities. Seek to know more about Jesus; open the scriptures. One idea would be to read again the book of John and then discuss it with your parents, teachers, and each other."

I decided to implement this as a summer reading program with my children. I made a chart of the 21 chapters in the book of John and told my kids that if they would read and mark off the chapters (they have to show and tell me about a verse they have marked in each chapter) then they could earn some spending money for our big family vacation coming up next month. They have a month to work their way through it, but Kitty and Sweetie Peach have already done eight and six chapters, respectively. I have enjoyed hearing them tell me what they have read and having extra opportunities to have religious conversations with my cuties.

Thanks for the suggestion Elder Andersen!

Scripture of the Day: Alma 1:25

1 comment:

  1. Actually was just thinking of doing some thing like this. This morning, I was pondering how we have been out of school for 3 weeks now. With all the arguing, something different must be done. I have even considered adding the articles of faith to our summer reading.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!