Monday, May 23, 2011

Loving this quote


I am tempted to put this on a canvas and hang it up in my house. What do you think? Too long?

“There is no such thing as instant greatness. This is because the achievement of true greatness is a long-term process. It may involve occasional setbacks. The end result may not always be clearly visible, but it seems that it always requires regular, consistent, small, and sometimes ordinary and mundane steps over a long period of time. . . .

“True greatness is never a result of a chance occurrence or a one-time effort or achievement. It requires the development of character. It requires a multitude of correct decisions for the everyday choices between good and evil. . . .

“As we evaluate our lives, it is important that we look, not only at our accomplishments, but also at the conditions under which we have labored. We are all different and unique individuals. We have each had different starting points in the race of life. We each have a unique mixture of talents and skills. We each have our own set of challenges and constraints to contend with” (“What Is True Greataness,” in Brigham Young University 1986–87 Devotional and Fireside Speeches [1987], 115).

Scripture of the Day:  D&C 88:44-45

1 comment:

  1. I love this quote!! It gives me hope. :-) It is a bit long though. I am thinking I would try to shorten it a bit and then post it somewhere as a reminder. It expresses the thoughts I often have and try to remember when life seems a bit mundane. I often think back to my ancestors whom I admire the most and realize that their lives were pretty normal in most ways but they lived each day with courage and conviction and when the large trials loomed they overcame them with integrity. And that is what makes them great--even though I am sure they would not have viewed themselves that way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!