Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Book Review: My Fair Godmother


My Fair Godmother (by Janette Rallison) is definitely one of the cutest books I have read lately. It is imaginative, exciting, and humorous--and definitely worthy of being read out loud to my munchkins. Rallison did an excellent job of turning character flaws into endearing traits. The main character (Savannah), for example, is somewhat of an airhead--but despite her dimwitted mistakes I found Savannah to be charming and lovable.

Here is a good description of the plot:

After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy.

Other books by Janette Rallison include (among others) My Double Life, It's a Mall World After All, and All's Fair in Love, War, and High School.

Scripture of the Day: 2 Timothy 2:10

3 comments:

  1. Sounds cute. What age do you think would be most interested in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and I absolutely loved it. Five stars from me. It would make a great movie and I believe that I saw somewhere that there is a sequel coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Janette's books! My daughter adored this one as well. (It was a Whitney finalist too!) A sequel to this one will be out soon.

    (Gee whiz for LDS readers--she used to write romantic comedies for Deseret Book under the pen name Sierra St. James. They were a riot.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!