Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sweetie Peach's Haute Couture


Last Saturday my mother took the girls "power shopping." Kitty and Sweetie Peach love these outings. Really all it is is a trip to a discount store, where they are each allowed to pick out a toy or something they want, followed by an ice cream run. Previous power shopping trips have resulted in their favorite stuffed animals and other fun toys I would never get for them. This past Saturday was no exception: Sweetie Peach came home with a toy sewing machine.

I knew right away when I saw it that this was going to be one of those toys you secretly celebrate when they break. And I nearly lucked out--Sweetie peach cut the cord trying to get it out of the box. (Un)Fortunately my DH is good at fixing those sorts of problems.

Saturday evening was spent putting batteries in, trying to figure out how to thread the machine (and then teach Sweetie Peach so she could do it on her own), and then finding enough fabric scraps for her to use.

Sunday morning I rose to fine her sewing mess all over the kitchen and family room. It was still there Monday morning (after trying Sunday night to sew fabric wristbands a la bracelet style). And this morning it was worse after Barbie was getting a new wardrobe sewn after FHE. Today she made what she calls a swimsuit cover-up mini skirt. All I can say is look out Christian Siriano... your days are numbered.

And at the rate the mess in the family room is going, maybe the sewing machine's days will be, too. (A mom can only hope!)

Scripture of the Day: D&C 121:8

4 comments:

  1. That's great. I give a lot of toys about a week or so grace period and then throw them out when the kids aren't looking. They usually don't notice. You might not be as lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Enjoy these days. And take lots of pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is that!! What a great thing to get her started on. I do not sew at all. My sisters all do, but I didn't have the patience for it. Now I regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this a fashion maker in the works...she may be the next Vera Wang.

    http://inspirationallettersbymillie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!