Thursday, October 8, 2009

Book Review: Santa Maybe


I picked up Aubrey Mace's newest book, Santa Maybe, last Friday while visiting the Cedar Fort offices. I read it over the weekend and loved it. Then, on the drive home from Utah, I read it to my kids (my stop-the-bickering strategy); they loved it, too. Here's what the back of the book says:

Dear Santa,
I've been a good girl this year. (Well . . . pretty good.) I have a nice life and there's only one thing that I really want one thing that's missing. If you happen to have an extra one lying around your workshop, I would really like a husband. I promise to take good care of him.

Love, Abbie



With a successful bakery to run, super cute nieces and nephews to spoil, and plenty of good friends to keep her company, Abbie s not about to start crying over the fact that she s doesn't have a boyfriend to spend Christmas with. But when her sister convinces her to write a note to Santa, Abbie has no idea that a little Christmas magic is about to land her the man of her dreams. Or rather, that man is about to land smack dab on the floor in front of her Christmas tree with no memory of how he got there.


Now Abbie and Ben have to figure out where he came from, who he really is, and if he's actually available.


Aubrey Mace, the award-winning author of Spare Change, has done it again! This light-hearted holiday romance is sure to please even the most cynical scrooge. Told with humor, sweetness, and Aubrey's signature wit, this is one Christmas story that will keep you smiling all year round.

So here are five reasons I think this book is worth a read:

1. Great way to get in the holiday spirit! The fun plot involving Santa will have you planning for the season in no time. Additionally, it is the perfect lightness for those upcoming busy holiday weeks. I even love the touching little fruitcake part near the beginning.

2. The main male character, Ben, will make you drool. 'Nuff said.

3. The plot of Santa Maybe will keep you guessing--this is not a predictable book. It even has a little sense of mystery about it.

4. Mace does a great job with her character relationships. The main character (Abbie) has a fun -- yet realistic -- relationship with her sister, a few different friends, and even her parents.

5. Santa Maybe will make you smile. There are several parts that got me laughing, not to mention the ending, which left me wanting more.

The only drawback: you will be hungry every time you set Santa Maybe down. There are so many references to yummy baked goods that it might just make you have to break out the mixer and recipe book. The chocolate mousse cake, in particular, sounded delectable.

Scripture of the Day: D&C 19:16-19

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you Rebecca! My first review for Santa Maybe-- I'm bursting with excitement! I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed it.
    And it's funny you mentioned the food thing. I met my editor Heidi for the first time recently, and she told me quite seriously that I have a bad reputation at Cedar Fort. I was horrified until she explained that everyone knew that I was the one who wrote books where the characters were constantly eating all this delicious food, and it made everybody ravenous. And it's true! I'd never realized it before. I feel I should apologize to anyone who quite innocently picked up one of my books and blew their diet. :)
    Anyway, thanks again! I REALLY appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find these great books? I am sooo ready for a good Christmas story. Is this on Deseret Books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased to hear such a positive review of a book that's currently at the top of my wish list. Aubrey is not only a talented writer but a sweet gal and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,dear. There you go recommending another book. Reading your blog is bad for my budget.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great book. I am adding it to my book list.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!