Friday, October 16, 2009

Scripture Collages


Something I have done with my kids in the past is a scripture collage. It is a fun way to help teach kids what some basic scripture/religious terms mean. And since it is a hands on activity, your kids may never even realize they are having scripture study! Here's what to do:

Supplies needed:
  • Magazines to cut up (past Ensign issues or Friend Magazines work best)
  • Glue sticks
  • Pair of scissors for each family member
  • Poster board
  • Marker

First, decide on a scripture to make the collage about. I have found that scripture mastery verses and verses with lists in them work well. For example, the famous verse on charity (Moroni 7:47) worked well with the collage my daughters did today (see photo). They asked me numerous questions about "charity" and--I think--learned a lot about this difficult concept.

Second, read the scripture out loud to your family. Then write the scripture reference and key words at the top of the poster board with the marker. Take time to define any words your kids may not know the meaning of.

Third, give your kids the magazines, glue, and scissors. Tell them to find pictures that show what the words to this scripture mean. Let them cut and paste while you talk about the pictures and how each might work to fit into the collage/definitions of words in the scripture.

Fourth, post the finished collage where the whole family can enjoy it!

Scripture of the Day: D&C 59:9-10

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea and I'm going to use it. What a great way to use old magazines. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this idea, thinking I could use this with my activity day girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. We did this tonight with Psalms 46:8

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. It would be a great seminary activity as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!