Saturday, July 26, 2008

Year of Miracles #14


Last Saturday we were out to my sweet mother-in-law's house and in her backyard, poking up from various patches of ground, were a ton of yellow onions. Now, you may recall that last April (the day before my father-in-law, John, passed away) I posted about the beautiful green onions he had grown. Apparently shortly before he died he had planted yellow onions in about five different places in the backyard, all outside the "typical" garden area. And somehow--despite all the 110+ degree weather we have been having this summer--despite not being watered regularly--despite not being tended--a whole bunch of delicious onions grew. I dug up a grocery sack full of them with the help of Sweetie Peach and then chopped them up for the freezer. It yielded two gallon-size freezer bags full. And as I have thought about these onions, I have decided that they are kind of symbolic of the many good things John has left behind him that are still blessing his family and friends. We miss him and are grateful for the many ways his life blessed ours.

Scripture of the Day: D&C 88:86

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!