Thursday, May 20, 2010

Broken Heart


Once, when I was in high school, I decided to run for student council--treasurer, specifically. I made lots of posters and handed out many fliers. I felt like I invested so much time and energy. But I still lost. It was hard to lose, but within a few weeks I had found other activities to participate in and the feelings gradually faded.

Then a few weeks ago my Kitty decided to run for vice president at her school. Memories of my feelings of losing started sneaking back into my head. I worried she might lose because she would only be in fifth grade next year. I worried her speech wasn't good enough. I worried when my DH suggested she use sock puppets for her speech. I worried her poster did not look neat enough. I worried and worried and worried.

But my worry was to no avail.

Sure enough, today Kitty lost the election. For the most part she has been brave, but there have been a few tears. Hopefully a few weeks from now the feelings of losing will have faded dramatically.

And there is always next year.

Kitty, I am proud of you for trying!


Scripture of the Day: 3 Nephi 7:21

3 comments:

  1. My daughter just went had the same experience as ran for Class President. When she lost, she cried for a few days. Now she is looking at doing other things. It was a good experience for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so hard, and I know it would break my heart too, hopefully there are some good lessons learned for her, but I know that doesn't make it any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to always want to protect my kids from failing but finally adopted my husband's view towards life instead--that it is better to try and lose than never to try at all.

    My Michelle just lost an election as well. And my daughter Kristen won two in grade school, lost her first election in high school--although all her friends won theirs (painful!!) but then went on to win the next year.

    Hopefully your daughter will find other activities to keep her busy and then win next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!