Monday, December 1, 2008

New Month, New Theme

This month's scripture study theme is Journey to Bethlehem. I have made a "map" (in the loosest of terms) of Israel with stepping stones winding from Nazareth to Bethlehem. Each day of the month Mary and Joseph get to move one step closer to Bethlehem and a scripture about the birth of the Savior is read.

Here is a {lousy} pic I took of the map on the wall at home. I wish it showed some of the details of the cities I had to draw--they look cute. And at the bottom is the manger with a star over it. You can see a close up of Mary and Joseph in the sidebar.

Another way to do a Christmas family scripture study theme was given a week or so ago. Or, you could print out verses and put them in an advent calendar that has little pouches or other containers.



My friend Heather made me the cutest advent calendar like that last week and I am loving it! Here it is in my kitchen. It has clear magnetic containers she has decorated that you pull off, open up, and then can put back on. The kids are so excited to use it (although this morning I was unprepared and the only candy I could find to put inside the container with the scripture was some candy corn--two out of three kids here dislike candy corns).



Scripture of the Day: Luke 2:1-3

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow! Thanks for the reminder. This is the first time in the history of, well, er, my life, that I have forgotten the advent calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally cute advent calendars. i am an advent calendar slacker. i've never been good at doing one. and always forget to finish it.

    bummer they don't like candy corn.

    WHOOHOO for your maid coming.
    i WISH i had a maid. except in the past when i have had a maid, i hate it. and refer to it as hell wednesday or whatever day it is.since i get frantic about precleaning for her. it's bad. i need a daily maid to keep up here.

    i think everyone's comments are on the backburner. because of the holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the journey idea. I'm doing sharing time this week, and it's about the prophets foretelling the birth of Christ. And I've been inspired by the idea of the Jesse Tree over at Rocks in My Dryer with its emphasis on the OT prophecies.

    So I'm trying to figure out a way to do an advent thingie for both sharing time and our family's advent. But, starting late and needing it shorter for primary, I'm thinking of doing a 12 days thing this year. Hopefully next year I can plan an entire month's worth of devotional-type things.

    December is a great month for me to get motivated again about family scripture study!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, I like the map. Is it a word file or something that could be easily copied? I'm a mooch, sorry, and you're so good at this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!