Monday, December 29, 2008
Planning for FHE in 2009
Take some time before the new year to plan your FHE schedule for 2009. Here's how:
1. Write down all the dates of the Mondays in 2009 (or Sundays if you do FHE on Sunday).
2. Check these dates and make note next to each one that is a family member's birthday, a major holiday, or is a time when your family will be out of town. You will likely not be having a lesson on those weeks.
3. Plan topics of lessons by week of the month. For example, your topics may look like this:
week 1 - Lesson from the Friend magazine
week 2 - Lesson from FHE manual
week 3 - Lesson based on topic in the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet
week 4 - Lesson from most recent conference issue of the Ensign
week 5 - Family activity
In addition to these topic selections, you might enjoy lessons based on scripture parables, scripture mastery scriptures, chapters from the RS/Priesthood manual (Joseph Smith book this year), Gospel Essentials manual, or other help books offered at church bookstores.
On your paper of dates, write the topics next to each appropriate week. If you are using a manual of some sort, be sure to include a chapter number so as to eliminate duplication in case someone forgets what was taught in previous months.
4. Decide a set rotation of who will be assigned the lessons. Usually we have our children teach one of the lessons a month. Then my husband takes a week and I take two weeks. But if you have older children, you may choose to have them teach more frequently. Write the names next to the dates and topics on your paper. This is your completed plan for 2009!
5. Post your schedule in a safe place so you can refer to it throughout the year.
This is what works for our family. I hope it works for yours too!
Scripture of the Day: D&C 88:119