Monday, February 16, 2009

Scriptures and Good Parenting

"In the future, infrequent family scripture study may be inadequate to arm our children with the virtue necessary to withstand the moral decay of the environment in which they will live. Where in the world will the children learn chastity, integrity, honesty, and basic human decency if not at home?

"These values will, of course, be reinforced at church, but parental teaching is more constant. In my opinion, the teaching, rearing, and training of children requires more intelligence, intuitive understanding, humility, strength, wisdom, spirituality, perseverance, and hard work than any other challenge we might have in life. This is especially so when moral foundations of honor and decency are eroding around us. To have successful homes, values must be taught, and there must be rules, there must be standards, and there must be absolutes...." (James E. Faust, "The Greatest Challenge In The World- Good Parenting", General Conference, October 1990; see Ensign, Nov 1990, p. 33)

Scripture of the Day: D&C 121:41-43

PS: Happy President's Day!

4 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite quotes. I used it once in a pulpit-pounding talk when I was YW president. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure this is so totally true (and we do it)(sort of) but "they" say the same thing about so many things, prayer twice a day, dinner at the table, family night every Monday, church every Sunday---sigh . .. it gets pretty overwhelming sometimes, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So.....you don't know me. I am a friend of Catania Larsen who writes on the Molly Mormon page occasionally. I have been praying for inspiration in the parenting department. I have felt somewhat hopeless lately, as life becomes such a whirlwind sometimes. I have NEEDED to come across something that will help me study the scriptures with my kids and keep four under the age of 7 interested. This quote (that I have heard but had forgotten), reinforced what I already knew....that I needed to be reading the scriptures more with the kids. You truly are an answer to my prayers. I was prompted to go to this website after I was already asleep. Thanks for your devotion to the Lord.

    Ann Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, I am really glad to have been of service to you and I wish you luck in reading the scriptures with your kids! It has been a huge blessing in my life. Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!