Sunday, February 15, 2009

Year of Miracles #43

What do you get when you try to tie this Art Masterpiece cave art painting...

(Lascaux cave painting, France)

...into a Valentine craft kindergartners can make within a 15 minute time period? Answer: My weekly miracle! On Thursday I learned from Sweetie Peach's class mom that their Valentine party was during my Art Masterpiece time and would I be able to turn it into a Valentine craft and then stay and help with the party? I said "yes" without first looking at the painting--and then about panicked when I saw it was a cave painting. "What do I do with that?" I asked myself.

I called and talked to my good friend Heather -- we are good at generating ideas together. Then I did a little research on the Internet. All I could think of was to use crumpled paper bag and then have the kids draw cave type figures on it. And maybe I could throw a catchy Valentine saying on it to try and make it fit the holiday. But still it did not seem quite right. Just wasn't working for me.

So I mentioned the problem in my prayer that night before bed. And during the night the idea came to me. My focus was all wrong! I should not focus on the cave painting part, but on the stick figure part. Cave artists usually used stick figures. I could show the kids how to draw stick figures and then make that into a Valentine.

So when morning came I pre-cut some hearts, found some pastel paper in my scrapbooking stash, and made a sample for the kids to see. Here is what Sweetie Peach's finished product looked like:


It went great, took the perfect amount of time, and was not too challenging for the kids to do. In fact, I think they enjoyed learning how to do stick figures. I was really grateful for inspiration that made the experience fun and enjoyable.

Scripture of the Day: Moses 6:58

P.S. Don't forget to enter the giveaway for my book (click and scroll down) on Modern Molly Mormon this week! Today is the last day to enter.

2 comments:

  1. It always amazes me how much the Lord cares about us and our concerns over seemingly little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when it all comes together! A little help never hurts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!