Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Little Known Fact


Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico.

But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

(Story sent to me from my brother via e-mail--thanks, Jeff!)

Scripture of the Day: Isaiah 49:1

5 comments:

  1. LOL...I had no idea that the Titanic had so many jars of mayo on it.

    Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! BTW, my husband and I have fights all the time about mayo vs. Miracle Whip. He likes Miracle Whip, and claims they are the same thing!!! Clearly, they are not. It's fine if you like one or the other, but they aren't remotely the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was hilarious!! I have got to send that out to my family and friends--especially since my husband was born and raised in Mexico. Thanks for the belly laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOLOLOLOLOLOL for a second, I was thinking, "seriously?" Then I read the punchline. LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I found your blog through Mormon Mommy blogs. Just had to laugh at the Cinco de Mayo joke.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!