Thursday, May 28, 2009

Vending Machine


The past few days have been extra hectic as I have been heading over to the hospital to visit my dad. His knee replacement surgery seems to have gone well, but it is strange to see him in the hospital like this. I can't recall a time in my life where he has been hosptialized before this. He comes from pretty good stock.

The kids have been going to the hospital with me, but, due to swine flu precautions, they have not been allowed to go back into the patient room areas. Only those age 12 and older are allowed. {But Patch is a tall 11 1/2 year old, so I have to admit I have snuck him back to see the invalid.}

Despite being banned to the private waiting room, the kids anxiously get ready to go to the hospital with me each day. Kitty asks me multiple times (about every 20 minutes or so) when we will be leaving. Sweetie Peach brushes her hair and teeth and gets her shoes on without being told.

"Why?" you ask.

The .25 cent vending machines.

Yes, in the little waiting area room there is a television and two vending machines. One dispensing canned soda and one with candy and other junk food assundries. And everything {excepting the pre-packaged cinnamon rolls} is priced at .25 cents. Cinnamon rolls are .50 cents, thank you very much.

As soon as we get to the hospital they run to the waiting room with their fists of quarters tightly gripped. Chocolate bars, chips, and sugar soda are soon purchased and consumed as though manna from heaven.

It is a mother's nightmare. Not to mention the antithesis of the health the hosptial is trying desperately to promote. The kids ignore all of the counsel and advice I have given them about these undesireable substances normally minimalized in our humble home.

As a result of this gluttony I have only been staying with my dad for about a half an hour each visit. A lot of .25 cent damage gets done in that short time. And the kids leave happily with orange stained finger tips and smears of chocolate around their mouths.

Thankfully Grandpa will be released from the hospital tomorrow. But I think the kids are about all out of quarters anyway.
Scripture of the Day: John 19:25-27

5 comments:

  1. 25 cents?!! I would go just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I would be the one in trouble around a $.25 vending machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear your father's surgery went well. That is always a relief. I had to laugh at your comments about the vending machines. When my mother was in the hospital I think I single handedly emptied the hot tamales. Stress eating, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have a hard time with that price also. I wish your Dad and family a speeding recovery. I have nominated you for a blog award. You can retrieve it at I Luv Fireflys. I enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!