Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fourth of July Scriptures

I have been compiling scriptures on freedom, liberty, and agency for my July scripture study and am so impressed with how many good scriptures there are on this topic! I know some people have special patriotic services for Independence Day, so here are a few of my new favorite scriptures that are appropriate for this special occasion.

Here are 5 of my favorites:
  1. "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." (2 Corinthians 3:17) {my very favorite}
  2. "Abide ye in the liberty wherewith ye are made free." (D&C 88:86)
  3. "I, Pahoran, do not seek for power, save only to retain my judgment seat that I may preserve the rights and the liberty of my people. My soul standeth fast in that liberty in the which God has made us free." (Alma 61:9)
  4. "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." (Galatians 5:1)
  5. "But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed." (James 1:25)
10 more great scriptures:
  1. Isaiah 61:1
  2. 2 Nephi 1:7
  3. 2 Nephi 2:27
  4. Genesis 2:16
  5. Moses 4:3
  6. D&C 134:2
  7. D&C 98:5
  8. John 8:32
  9. Ether 2:12
  10. D&C 10:50-51

Probably the best scripture story about freedom and liberty is Captain Moroni and the Title of Liberty--just can't be beat! Here is the kids' version of the story with pictures. In 1987 there was a Funstuff article in the Friend magazine with a decipherable message of what was written on the Title of Liberty. This may be a fun activity for kids age 7 to 12.

And this website has a ton of other great links for fun Fourth of July songs, games, and information (i.e., flag symbolism).

Hope this gets y'all in the mood for a fabulous 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!