Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Super Tourist: Part 3

Last Day in Paris
The last day in Paris I took a train out to see Versailles, then went to the Musee d'Orsay, and took a boat tour of the Seine. Versailles had a really long line and was partly under construction. I was also in a time crunch so I skipped the audio tour and just walked through on my own. The Hall of Mirrors was beautiful--I would have loved to see it without all the people that were in the room at the time, but it was still remarkable. The gardens were also lovely. I would like to go back here someday to do the tour properly and spend more time, but I am still glad I went. The shot above is from Versailles, as well as below.

At the Musee d'Orsay is a collection of impressionist artwork, including Monet, Renoir, and Degas. I enjoyed this museum more than the Louvre, partly because the size of it is more manageable, but mainly because the artwork is more to my style. It was amazing to see the original works of famous paintings I have see copies of hundreds of times--they were just there hanging on the walls with no glass over them or anything. Really cool. My mom and I ran around in there taking pictures of the famous paintings we love to use for our Art Masterpiece classes we teach in the spring.Finally, the boat tour of the Seine was at night and I was not able to get any good pictures due to the darkness. But on the way back to the hotel we were able to see the Eiffel Tower all lit up. At 11 p.m. there the lights on it start to twinkle for 15 minutes and it is a beautiful sight. I would have liked to gazed at it longer but was in desperate need of a bathroom at the time! I will just have to enjoy this picture instead. It is a bit crooked because I was on the boat at the time and had a hard time getting the angle right.The next day we took the Chunnel to London and were there by lunch time. Stay tuned for more Super Tourist adventures in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!