Monday, June 30, 2008

No More Zucchini, Please!

Over the weekend I decided something had to be done about all the zucchini I had from my garden! I only have two zucchini plants, and I have given quite a lot away to friends and family members. But I still had about 5 huge ones on my kitchen counter. I do like to eat zucchini, but I have to admit I am a bit burned out on it after six weeks now of my plants producing. So what did I decide to do? I decided to freeze it. It did not take long at all--I cubed the zucchini, blanched it in water for 3 minutes (per batch) and then put it in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. After draining it on some dish towels I put it all in some gallon zip lock bags. It filled two bags. I tried using the frozen zucchini yesterday when I put some chicken and rice in the slow cooker to cook during church. I like to add veggies to the rice, so along with the mire poix mixture I put in, I also threw in a cup of the zucchini. It turned out great! Now I am wondering why I didn't think of doing it all sooner!

Scripture of the Day: "By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families." (Family Proclamation p. 7)

1 comment:

  1. Zucchini can have a mind of its own if you don't watch out. Thanks for sharing the slow cooker idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!