Thursday, June 25, 2009

Advice from Elder Eyring

Photo by Welden C. Andersen

How can parents help their children love the scriptures?

Elder Eyring: "All of us have had various experiences and success with family scripture study, particularly as our children become teenagers. When they’re little, gathering them around and reading the scriptures together is easier. As they get a little older, it can sometimes be harder to do. I know many families are very successful in getting their family up at some very early hour and they read the scriptures and then they read at night. But there are many patterns. For me at least, and I think my six children would agree, scripture study works well only if your children know you love the scriptures and they also know as individuals that you love them. Then whatever pattern you have will work.

"If scripture study is forced for either them or you, if your children feel pushed, or if you don’t really love the scriptures yourself, then scripture study doesn’t have as much power. It’s important to read the scriptures together in a way that lets your children know you include them because you love them. However, reading together may break down during the teenage years. Teens may say, “I’d rather read on my own.” My encouragement to families in that situation is to see that as victory, not defeat. Your child may be saying, “I’m getting something when I’m alone that I don’t get when we’re all here together.” Take that as a wonderful sign that scripture study is beginning to take hold in your teen’s heart.

"The main purpose is to fall in love with the scriptures and feast upon them, whether we are alone or together. You have to be realistic. Let teens know you love them. Make sure they know you love the scriptures. However, if they want to go to their rooms and read, let them. They’ll find their own pattern and fall in love with the scriptures.

"I’m blessed with a wife who absolutely loves the scriptures. If I ask her, “What would you like to do?” she says, “Oh, read me the scriptures.” I think our children have sensed that it wasn’t a duty for us to read the scriptures—it was a pleasure."

Henry B. Eyring, “A Discussion on Scripture Study,” Ensign, Jul 2005, 22–26

Scripture of the Day: Moroni 8:10

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree that the best way to help your children love the scriptures is to love them yourself. When I was only nine years old I attended a branch that only had two Sunday School classes 3-8 and 9 to dead. The teacher was a young missionary who LOVED the Book of Mormon. Even at nine in a class with all adults I got so excited about the scriptures from the way he taught them that I couldn't wait to go home after class and read the book for myself. (I learned that wasn't as easy as he made it sound, however:-) Still, from that class, I began to love the Book of Mormon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that. Can't wait to see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful message, so glad you shared it. It has been hard since moving, summer vacations started and my oldest children are gone alot to figure out when to read. Gathering everyone for prayer is hard enough, getting them together for scriptures. I can see that my attitude will make the difference. I need to love it, not look at it like a "have to do".

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's the best! Are we allowed to have a favorite apostle?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!