Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Terrific Tuna Melts

Believe it or not I have never, ever had a tuna melt. I have heard of them before, but it has never been something I tried. Not sure why. But this summer I am training the kids to eat tuna. Every Tuesday I am feeding them Tuna sandwiches for lunch (despite their whining). A week or so ago when I saw this recipe (on this fun blog) I thought I would give it a try for myself. I have tweaked it a bit to fit my needs, though. Feel free to experiment with me.


1 T. Olive oil
2 carrots finely diced
1 rib of celery finely diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. Herbs de Provence
1/4 t. pepper
1 T. flour
1/3 c. nonfat milk
2 T. light mayo
2 cans tuna, drained
1 c. diced green onions
6 slices of light 100% whole wheat bread, toasted
1 1/2 c. 1% shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Saute carrots and celery in oil for about 5 minutes. Add garlic seasonings and flour, combining thoroughly. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Slowly add the milk while continuing to stir. After it has thickened add the mayo, tuna, and onions. Pile the mixture onto the toasted bread that has been laid out on a cookie sheet. Top with cheese and then broil until melted and bubbly.

For those of you counting this is about 5 WW points (237 cal; 4 fiber; 7 g. fat).

Scripture of the Day: D&C 75:28

2 comments:

  1. I actually really like tuna, but it's one of those things I will never order in a restauarnt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very yummy, but I don't like tuna. I think I will try it with chicken.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!