Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Indexing Challenge


It took me more than a week to finally get signed up (a phone call to admin did the trick), but I finally finished my first batch. I am officially an indexer!

My ward is having a summer family history challenge, part of which is a goal to index 100,000 names on FamilySearch.org. I had been hearing of other ward members who are already indexing fools. And yesterday in sacrament meeting one of the young women gave a talk and she has completed almost 1000 names on her own already. So amazing!

The batch of 50 names I completed today was from the 1920 Census in Pennsylvania (looked a lot like the one shown above, only readable :-). The only hard thing about it was figuring out a few of the names (Furgston? Lethea? Breitweitz?). Otherwise it was interesting to see where they were from, the family relationships, and when some of them had immigrated. I was interested to see how many of them had boarders living in their home--more than a few and a practice that is quite uncommon today. It took about an hour and then I uploaded it back to FamilySearch.org.

Not a bad experience. In fact, quite the opposite!

Scripture of the Day: Malachi 4:5-6

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your indexing. Sure is rewarding work, isn't it? The little bit I do each day helps me feel that I'm accomplishing something that will help someone else.

    Good luck,

    Geoff Rasmussen
    www.legacynews.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally did this last year!
    I should get back into it!! thanks again for the boosts!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!