Saturday, September 27, 2008

Year of Miracles #23


This week's miracle reminded me how the Lord uses our scripture study, family home evening, and other instruction times to prepare us to handle difficult situations. Kind of like when you are struggling with something and you go to church and the sacrament talks, Sunday school lesson, and RS lesson all touch on similar topics that help you with that issue. Has that ever happened to anyone else out there but me? I hope I am not the only one.

So here's what happened. Of course you all know we have been studying the 10 Commandments this month. That came into play {no stealing, adultery, or murder involved though, thank heaven!}. Then on Monday I taught FHE from the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet. The specific section we studied was about using clean language. And part of my FHE lesson was a story from the Friend about a girl who took the name of the Lord in vain.

So, can you guess what happened? Yep, that's right... one of my kiddos {which specific one shall remain anonymous since many of you know them} was overheard by a sibling taking the name of the Lord in vain. It was that darn OMG phrase that is so popular.

It was quite the "coincidence" that this happened right after all of the lessons and instruction we have been having in our home. But I was very grateful for the recent-ness of it because I felt better prepared as a parent to correct in a loving manner. We had a little talk about that darn phrase and how saying it was not showing respect for Heavenly Father. Apparently the kiddo 'o mine meant to say "goodness" but didn't quite get there. We decided "holy moly" might be a better phrase to use because it wouldn't lend itself to as much of a slippery slope.

It all ended well (I hope) and said kiddo felt bad that those words had escaped from his or her mouth. Hopefully all the lessons and the parental correction will have a lasting effect. That's the next miracle I will be praying for.

Scripture of the Day: #8 -- Zechariah 5:3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!