Monday, September 14, 2009

Book Review: Alma

One of my favorite LDS fiction series I discovered this year has been Heather B. Moore's historical novels based on the Book of Mormon. Moore takes the scriptural characters and their exact story lines, and adds greater detail, more characters (especially female ones you will wish were actually mentioned in the BoM), and lots of accurate cultural research. And the end result? Books that make you almost wish your daily scripture study was as easy and exciting.

Moore's first historical novel in the prophet series was Abinadai, which follows in the footsteps of her Out of Jerusalem series. Her latest novel is Alma, based on the story of Alma the Elder. Beginning shortly after the death of Abinadai, Alma covers the life of the prophet Alma as he leads believers to the Waters of Mormon and beyond. The demise of King Noah and the kidnapping of the daughters of the Lamanites are both depicted in Alma, as well as the experiences of other logical individuals that do not appear in the Book of Mormon. In particular, the widow of Abinadai features prominently in Alma, as well as Maia, one of the wives of King Noah.

One of the best characters in Alma Moore creates is that of Amulon. Taken directly from the scriptures, Moore is able to breathe life into Amulon. His motives, desires, and actions contrast strongly with those of the prophet Alma and help to keep the storyline moving at a quick pace.

If you are interested in reading a bit of Alma yourself, you can read the first three chapters online here. Just be warned--you are likely to be addicted.

Scripture of the Day: Mosiah 2:17

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a another great book! Only I think I will wait to recommend it to my students until after they read the original version of the story. :-) I, on the other hand, think I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this Becky! I'm glad you enjoyed the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed Abinadi and can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Alma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds really good, will have to add it to my book list.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!