Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Movie Review: Julie & Julia


I had been wanting to see this movie for about a month when my mom called me on Saturday and asked if I wanted to go with her to an afternoon showing. I rushed through the grocery shopping to make it on time, but definitely felt it was worth it. Julie & Julia is a cute show about two women: Julia Child (famous chef and cookbook author) and Julie, a New York wanna-be writer working a boring government job. Julie decides to blog about cooking her way through Julia Child's famous cookbook (Mastering the Art of French Cooking). 547 recipes in 352 days.

The story, well crafted by the talented Nora Ephron, goes back and forth between Julia's life in Paris (where she learns to cook) and Julie's life in New York blogging about her cookbook journey. I loved the French scenes and the 1950s fashion--it was really beautifully done. The contrast between the two time periods (worlds, really) is nicely highlighted. For example, while Julia Child lived in a beautiful French home, Julie's 900 sq. ft. apartment over a pizzaria was not decorated to be New York chic. I appreciated that honesty.

I also loved Meryl Streep's acting and would have liked the film to have given her more of a majority of the time rather than balancing it out with Julie (not that Amy Adams does a poor job--she doesn't). Streep's ability to bring Julia Child back to life is likely to get her several nominations, if not awards.

What did I not like about Julie & Julia? The use of occasional swear words (when they really were not necessary), an underwear-kissing scene (quite a few sexual references, to be honest), and Ephron's blatant support of the DNC (does everything have to be political nowadays?).

Would I see it again? Definitely. This may even be worthy of my library in the future. Especially if we get a ClearPlay.

Scripture of the Day: 2 Nephi 28:7-9

8 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to see it. It looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the movie and hated the book. The book had way way way more of what you didn't like about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I was going to say -- the book was full of the f word and rantings against Republicans, so I'm not sure you can blame that on Nora Ephron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of others who have liked it but I also heard the language was pretty bad. As in at least one really bad word. Is that true? if it isn't I will go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to seeing it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read the book so thanks for the warnings. I hate reading books with a lot of swear words. The f word was used once in this movie--and it really was not needed. With ClearPlay I am sure it would be removed and the viewer would never even miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to see it too. Thanks for the review. I might have to invest in a clearplay also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh, now I need to see that movie! =)Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!