Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Covering All Your Bases


Here is a handy scripture tip for anyone who has wanted to read the Bible or D&C but felt guilty because they were not reading the Book of Mormon every day. The way my ward RS president handles it with her husband is they jointly read a full chapter or two from the Bible or D&C. After they discuss and ponder those chapters, then they open their Book of Mormon. They turn to the designated chapter (apparently they read in chronological order), but instead of reading the entire chapter, they each choose a verse or two they have previously high-lighted to read and discuss. By using this strategy they were able to read the Old Testament, a goal they had long wanted to accomplish, yet still keep up on their Book of Mormon study.

Scripture of the Day: Deuteronomy 6:7

4 comments:

  1. I love to read General Conference talks or one of the other books of scripture and then look up all the Book of Mormon references in the footnotes, or do a search in the index for B. of M. scriptures related to the topics I just read about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. We are currently reading The New Testament as a family. We should add a verse from the BOM as well. Thanks. I am glad I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Don't forget to visit my new blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Site! Thanks for visiting mine and leaving your great comment.

    These are wonderful tips! I am currently reading the Book of Mormon cover-to-cover as part of the Hinckley Challenge (hinckleychallenge.org) and also adding a Bible chapter in for good measure. It does feel a bit daunting sometimes! Recently I found a couple of the church Study Guides for the Old Testament and the Book of Mormon. I highly recommend them! You can read a comment or quote that coinsides with chapter verses. Picking and choosing. It really enhances the scripture study experience.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!