Thursday, November 13, 2008

NASCAR and Budweiser



Bet you never thought you'd see a headline like that on Scripture Mom's blog :-)!

Actually, last night I was at work where I had to listen to four hours of focus group discussions. The participants were beer drinking men who liked NASCAR. Lovely, I tell you. I was behind the mirror with the clients and there was some good discussions going on about beer and lagers and foam and texture and taps and other foreign sounding terms. I really had no idea what they were talking about. Although I was embarrassed not to be able to participate in the conversation--to try and professionally interact and build a relationship--really I am glad to be naive enough to lack such knowledge.

Besides all the beer talk behind the mirror, I also had to deal with all the NASCAR discussion going on in front of the mirror. They were talking about one specific driver in particular: Casey Cane-- but I was uninformed enough at the start to realize part way through that his name is really spelled Kasey Kahne. I think the most I had ever watched NASCAR before last night was the milli-second it takes to change the channel after realizing racing was on. Just not quite my thing.

But the good thing was I learned. I learned NASCAR is actually a team sport. I learned the main reasons people like NASCAR events are the party atmosphere (including the "girls") and sensual stimulation of very loud, vibrating, speeding cars. I learned NASCAR drivers often come from a family tradition of racing.

That's the best part about my job--all the interesting things I learn that I never knew were interesting. And I think that's what I love about the scriptures too. All the interesting things I find and the many new things I learn every time I read.

So if you don't think the scriptures are quite for you, think again. There are great and wonderful things in there you never knew were even there. Just waiting to be learned.

Scripture of the Day: Revelations 1:3

4 comments:

  1. Becky
    I needed a little extra motivation today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you do? Your job sounds so cool.
    Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work as a research analyst. A focus group is a type of research methodology. Today I am writing a report to analyze what was said by the two groups of NASCAR beer- dringing men last night. I also analyze data from telephone and mail surveys.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!