Sunday, November 2, 2008

Year of Miracles #28

This week I was in charge of two class parties at my kids' school. For Kitty's class I had to do the craft and game, while for Patch's class I had to do the craft and snack. Really I do not mind doing the class parties; they are fun and memorable. The only problem was that these two parties overlapped by 30 minutes--so staffing was an issue--and the craft became a big problem. But both were overcome with small "coincidences" I count as miracles.

First, I was really blessed when it came to staffing. In both classes I had an extra parent or two show up in addition to the ones I had recruited! It was amazing because the craft ended up taking longer than anticipated and I needed extra helping hands. You see, I had decided to make these Martha Stewart owls:I had 48 kids to provide supplies for, so I gathered everything together and pre-cut the owl features for the third graders and pre-traced them for the sixth graders. The night before I spent several hours doing all this. Then I asked Patch to try making one so I could see if it was doable in the 15 minute time period. I learned from the experiment that the accordion folding was NOT going to work (for a variety of reasons).

So it was 9:30 at night. I was dead tired. I had already spent over $40 and 3 hours worth of time and money on this craft. I did not want to abandon it completely. Then a flash of inspiration (aka, miracle #2): use paper grocery sacks instead of the accordion folded circle. A cheap and easy solution. I had the kids glue the owl face on the paper sacks and then write on the bottom: "Whooo goes there?" They loved it. And I survived.

Scripture of the Day: D&C 9:7-9

2 comments:

  1. What a creative idea. I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gift! I would have had a breakdown. Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving your nice comment. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!