Thursday, August 21, 2008

Funeral Scriptures


Ever since I had a blog entry about the funeral of my father-in-law last April I have had a lot of hits from Google searches for funeral scriptures. In an effort to meet this need here are some scriptures that would serve as words of comfort during a funeral. If that is how you found this blog entry, please accept my sincere sorrow for you during this difficult time. I hope these scriptures bring you solace.

Probably the most famous scripture for funerals is :

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. (Psalms 23:4)

My other top favorites:

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (John 14:18)

In Him is the sting of death swallowed up. (Mormon 7:5)

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. (1 Corinthians 15:21-22, see also 55, 57)

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Revelations 21:4)

And a few more to check out:

Psalms 116:15

Matt. 5:4

Romans 8:18, 28, 35, 37-39

2 Corinthians 4:9-10, 14-18

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14, 18

Revelations 7:13-17

2 Nephi 9:10-11

2 Nephi 10:25

Mosiah 18:9

Alma 11:42-44

This website, by the way, has a list of 250 poems and quotes appropriate for funerals. It even has sample eulogies and writing guidelines to follow.






1 comment:

  1. what a sweet and thoughtful posting, Scripture mom! You are living up to your blogging name :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!