Monday, October 6, 2008

Nancy Drew and the Mysterious Addiction


When I was a young girl I loved reading Nancy Drew mysteries. I was seriously addicted. For several years I would save my money to buy the newest releases. With my $8 safely tucked in my pocket my mom and I would head over the Fiesta Mall (haven't been there in years!) where I would hurriedly make my way to Walden Books for my special purchase. Then I would read the whole way home and every spare minute until I had finished the book.

After a while I must have collected about 20 of the over 70 Nancy Drew mysteries. But then about 10 years ago, in a fit of cleaning and organizing, I boxed those books up and donated them to an elementary school teacher I knew.

Wouldn't you know it, but now my cute Kitty has caught the same Nancy Drew addiction bug I had all those years ago. Yet another reason never to get organized! (I should start a list.) Kitty has been checking them out of the public library and then we read a few chapters each night before bed. Even Patch and Sweetie Peach like to listen now. We also went to see the Nancy Drew movie (which we loved and now own). We have all been sucked into the drama and mystique of it...

Will Nancy survive this dangerous situation?

Will Bess and George be able to get help soon?

Will cute Ned Nickerson EVER kiss Nancy? (hopefully not, thinks Patch)

Lately we have been reading The Clue in the Diary, which was actually given to her by a friend. We are only on chapter 7, but Nancy has already been near a house fire, in a car accident, and nearly run off the road by a truck while on a crickety old wooden bridge. And we are loving every minute of it. I am sure this is the first in what will become a new collection of the beloved Nancy Drew books.

I wonder how long it will take before she has more than 20 of them...

Scripture of the Day: D&C 88:98

5 comments:

  1. I totally read The Clue in the Diary! How funny!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read every Nancy Drew I could get my hands on. Now my daughter, Amber loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, read those N.D. books until late into the night. They just don't make books the same anymore, do they? My husband loved the Hardy Boys, so hopefully we can get my kids hooked on one or the other. Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll talk to them and see. One of his brothers moved out of there about a year ago, but I will contact the other and see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved Nancy Drew as well. In fact, I used to read them late at night, after my bedtime...with a flashlight! =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!