Saturday, October 11, 2008

Year of Miracles #25


This week's miracle is Patch. Today is his 11th birthday and suddenly the weather today is cool and lovely and perfect. It was just like that the day he was born.

I went into labor early in the morning on the 10th. He was five days late by then, so when the contractions started I was so happy. I remember being so warm and uncomfortable and bloated while I waited and paced and hurt all that day. It had been the longest summer I could ever remember. Or maybe it just felt that way. But by late afternoon the contractions were finally close enough that we could head to the hospital.

After being checked in to the hospital they were concerned because he had not dropped much and I was not dialated hardly at all (maybe a 2). And every time a contraction would come his heart rate went down. By then it was after 11 pm and the decision was made to do an emergency c-section. I was scared to death. This was my first baby and things were not supposed to go like this.

They took me from the LDR room to surgery on a gurney and then quickly prepared for the delivery. They must have thought the epidural I had had six hours prior was still working because they started the incision while I was still awake. Of course I started yelling at them to stop because it hurt so bad, but the last thing I remember was the doctor telling the anesthesiologist to put the gas over my mouth.

I awoke the next morning, groggy and very sore. I noticed through the window that gray clouds had rolled in and it was windy. Finally, cool weather. But really all I wanted to see was my baby. I asked the nurse to bring him and a short time later she wheeled in the bassinet. All I can remember thinking was how beautiful he was, so white and small and almost shining. And definitely perfect.

Patch is still kinda white, although he has lots of freckles now. He is not small anymore. In fact, I am guessing he will be as tall as I am before his next b-day. And he still shines in my eyes. He is such a great kid and tries hard at everything he does.

Happy bithday Patch! I love you!


Scripture of the Day: Isaiah 17:4-5

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday ! Is that a ball in that present?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see that a mother can raise a son for 11 years and that they can both still be alive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet post about your son. Every child is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to know....is 'patch' a nickname or a given name? Cause my maiden name is patch.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!