Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ask and Ye Shall Receive


Here is a quick tip in getting teens to study their scriptures. The tip comes from a fabulous teacher in my ward, Brother Pew. He is currently a high councilman, but his previous calling was the missionary prep teacher. A few years back I had to teach a RS lesson on helping to prepare missionaries to enter the field. I decided to invite Brother Pew in to give some advice during the last 10 minutes of the lesson. He blew me away with how great he was! But this was the advice I remember to most:

Do not ask your kids, "Are you reading your scriptures?" or "Did you read your scriptures?"

This shows doubt and lack of confidence in them on your part as a parent.

instead...

Set up the expectation that they will need to share something from the scriptures.

For example, have a time during every FHE (or during a family dinner time) where each family member is asked to share something they learned from their personal scripture study during the past week. At this time ask, "What did you learn this week in your study?" This question shows more confidence and the ensuing conversations can lead to valuable teaching moments.

Thanks to Brother Pew for this valuable tip!

Scripture of the Day: D&C 88:63

4 comments:

  1. Hey Becky! How are you? My mom-in-law gave me your blog. I love it BTW, and I am going to order your book.

    Looks like you are doing great! I am going to have to put your link from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FanTAstic idea. I'm just reaching the point with my kids' ages where this will become valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. It has served me well in seminary too. Several times each week I ask students to share what they learned in their scripture study the night before. Occasionally I do have some who didn't read, but most often they have. I also like to ask them to come with a question from their study. I like that because then they have to think about what they are reading as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!