Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Brother of Jared's Barges

When I was a missionary I had an experience where people laughed at the Book of Mormon because of the Brother of Jared's description of the barges he had to build. This video proves Jared's description is nothing to laugh at. Quite the contrary, it is genius! Thanks to the Brother of Steve for making this video! And thanks to my nephew Joseph for bringing it to my attention.

From the creator of the video: "When Brother Ballard spoke a year ago at BYU Hawaii graduation and urged us to use the internet to further the Gospel, I was a little resistant, thinking of the negative comments that good postings often generate. I definitely changed my mind when I saw an idiot slamming the Book of Mormon on YouTube concerning Jared's barges rolling over and over in the Ocean and water coming in through the two holes. I decided to show that two holes are better than one and at the same time have a little fun in the doing. Here is my first attempt."



Scripture of the Day: James 2:14, 17

12 comments:

  1. We just had a lesson on this in Sunday school not to long ago! It so great to see it in action!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a seminary teacher of 14 year olds and Book of Mormon being the course of study for next year, I thought this was awesome! It even explains how to eliminate the "build of up raisins" :-) Thanks so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's neat. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool. Explains it in a ay quite different from what I always imagined from reading in Ether. Where does he get the idea for the water column, do you know? It's not in the scriptures, I don't think. IS that just something scholars have assumed for this to work? I always pictured another stopper on bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fascinating. Never quite visualized it before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ran by our Deseret Book today (Glendale) and bought your book! It was very easy to see as it was on the display case right as you walk in. Very cute. I love your ideas. My kids are older (youngest 15) but we have friends with younger kids we invite to FHE occasionally, and some of the ideas I can even adapt for seminary. I especially like that it comes with a CD! OH, and I LOVED the valentine ideas! So cute!I think I am going to use those all month with my daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting and well done video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You provide such a valuable service to everyone with your blog. I love that Joy bought your book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Joy for buying my book! I hope your family and students enjoy it. Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. I received a link to your post from my Dad. What a great blog (I will be adding to my reading list). I loved the visual concept of the boat, so much easier to comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a neat post, I received a link to your blog from my primary president. What a great way to illustrate that point!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated!